It is without doubt that the greatest lessons in life are not taught in any classrooms, but out here in the streets, in the corners, in relationships as we live and experience life daily. My biggest life lessons so far have been in school, and I know for every other young adult just like me, it’s most likely the same. For those who are yet to get in, those already in and those who have passed out alike, in no particular order, here is my list of essential life lessons we learn in the university.
- Budgeting is a real thing. Like an actual thing. After you squander your cash more times than necessary, you begin to catch on and learn the basics on budgeting. Haha.
- Cooking isn’t that hard. Like seriously, it’s no excuse even if you are a guy. Before then, I used to wonder how my mum had so much recipes in her head, now I’m like neeh…it’s no biggie.
- The earlier the better. Start reading from the first day of lecture. There is no excuse to pile up dirty laundry. And you might want to get started on that assignment right away.
- Being mature has nothing to do with age. It’s more mindset actually. And experience. If you love watching cartoons and think pink is a great color for a guy, please go ahead, the floor is yours and I’m right behind you. Don’t let anyone tell you who you should be.
- Adult stuff is exciting. Well…duh it is. I used to cry I didn’t want to grow up because adult life was boring, they just get to work with barely enough rest and pay bills, no wonder they are always so grumpy. But somehow, I found their company as excellent, I actually love home movies, and take part in adult discussion. It’s strange, but it’s absolutely worth it. Every licking finger bit of it.
- Everyone fits in somewhere. It may take time, but you eventually find your place and a crew. xoxo.
- You can achieve anything. Again, the only delay would be time.
- Fruits are expensive. I don’t even know how this made it into my list but it’s actually true. I’m all for the healthy eating campaign but fruits are expensive, I just end up buying noodles instead.
- Mistakes are inevitable. All kinds of mistakes are allowed. An awesome friend of mine once told me that I’m human, so I’m allowed to make as many mistakes as I need, they are inevitable.
- You don’t know everything. Nope. You don’t.
- You will learn things the hard way. It won’t all come easy, sometimes, it’ll hit you with the impact of a comet for you to actually get it.
- Everyone is unique in their own way. And as soon as I figured this out, I learnt to be myself . My unconventional ice cream addicted, loud mouthed, loving self.
- No degree is useless. Seriously, none is. But then, it doesn’t mean you’re going to use it. Let’s face the truth here, are you?
- Love will always find you. Love, love, love. Never give up on love. School might not be where it meets you, but it certainly will.
- Love and compatibility are two different things. And that’s why even the closest of sweethearts break up sometimes. *sad tear drop.
- Morale counts. Never compromise on your character, it’s such a small world, the globe ain’t that big of a circle so keep in mind that whatever you do will always come round back to you.
- People are more important than things. Repeat this to yourself three times, then move on to the next number.
- Forgiveness is more for you than them. Unfortunately, holding unto anger is like grabbing a hot coal and expecting the other person to be burnt. It isn’t always the easiest of things, but pretty please, learn to forgive.
- The most important thing is to be happy. I don’t know how I came up with this, but over the years, I’ve come to realize that our ultimate goal should be happiness. If it’s not going to make you happy in the end, then don’t waste time on it.
Thank you for sticking till the end, I hope I didn’t bore you to death. xoxo.
Tags: Advice ,Culture ,ESSAY ,Family ,Humor ,Lessons ,life ,Nigeria ,Society ,University ,Youth